Thursday, November 3, 2011

Mothering is so rewarding but it wasn't always easy for me

This is an exerpt from my 11/3/11 MOMentum talk at Cedar Creek Church -- West Toledo campus.

So, I am here today to encourage you in your role as the maker of the home.  Being a mother is one of the highest privileges that God can give a woman.  The journey of motherhood is daunting, overwhelming and exhausting BUT also exhilarating, exciting and oh so rewarding if we have Jesus’ servant attitude in our heart.  And, if we are wise and eternally-minded, we need to seek God’s love, grace and wisdom to guide us in raising these children who have been hand-picked by God and given specifically to us.  One of my favorite reminders to other mothers is that our children are our primary mission field.  We have such a privilege to be able to introduce them to Jesus and to teach them everyday how to love God and to love others – through our words and our actions.  Have you ever thought of yourself as a missionary?  Well, you can be – right in your own home.

So, you all are starting a series called “The Maker of the Home” in which you will focus on ways to make your home more peaceful, more engaging, simpler and more memorable. 

I’ll share with you what works for me and my family.  Each suggestion may or may not work well for you and your family but maybe the suggestions will help you think of something that will work for you.

But first let me share with you that becoming a mother was a bit difficult for me.  It was quite a transition.  I was thirty years old when we had our first child.  And for quite a few years before that I wasn’t sure that I wanted to be a mom – I had some anxiety about having children – that I would be a good mom.  I had a University job that paid well and I really liked it.  Deep down though I knew that if we were to have children that the best thing for them would be that I would be a stay-at-home mom.   The first few months after Jayson was born were very trying.  I was on maternity leave but I couldn’t wait to go back to work.  Being home all day with a baby was not enjoyable or rewarding for me – I was lonely and depressed that my baby cried all the time.  At my office, I was important and there was no crying.  But after a few months of going back to work I sensed that God was calling me to quit my job and be at home full-time.  I prayed “God if You really want me to be a stay-at-home mom then You are going to have to help me hate my job.”  Sure enough I did start to hate my job and I longed to be at home with Jayson.  So, I did quit my job but it still wasn’t easy to embrace the role of stay-at-home mom.  In fact, it took me quite a few years before I could say that I truly loved that I was a stay-at-home mom.  So, I tell you this because I don’t want you to think I’m some saint or a perfect mom or that it came easily for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment